Thursday, July 16, 2009

What Does the School Provide These Days?

Last year, we got home from our month long vacation the day before school started. Therefore I had to buy all LOB's school supplies the day before school started. I remember WM being sold out of many of the things that were requested and having to go to multiple stores to try to pull together some supplies. But why would I expect anything else?

So for this school year, I've already started collecting the requested items. I have a few things left but here are pictures of the majority. I swear the school doesn't supply anything but a teacher these days.


Here's DJB's Kindergarten pile. Notice an abundance of glue sticks? Why yes, there happen to be 24 glue sticks! WTF? No, I did not go overboard. 24 glue sticks were on the list. So let's do some math: 25 kids X 24 glue sticks each=600 glue sticks! Tell me where the teacher is going to store 600 glue sticks? The only other thing I question is the copy machine paper. C'mon! I'm surprised toilet paper wasn't on the list!
His list was divided into 2 parts: "Helpful Kindergarten Supply List" and "Teacher Wish List." I hate to say this but before I buy some of the "wish list" items, I want to see who his teacher is! *gasp* I know, I know. How selfish of me! I learned my lesson in LOB's first year. His teacher was HORRIBLE and I supplied every.single.thing. on the list and I really feel like she didn't deserve it! I know the supplies are for my kid and will make his K year better but still...


Here's LOB's pile. He only needs 6 glue sticks! Now that's more like it! I didn't oblige exactly to the list. For example, his 2nd grade class needs 4 packages of pencil top erasers? Well I can tell you that my kid simply does not make that many mistakes so I'll gladly supply 2 packages of pencil top erasers instead! His list also specifically said, 2 green wide ruled spiraled notebooks, as well as 2 red notebooks, 2 yellow paper folders, 2 red paper folders. OK, that's easy-I do like specifics! The only stuff left on his list is 2 manila folders and 2 hanging file folders. My beef with this that they can't be purchased individually. Maybe I'll have to scrounge through our filing cabinets so I don't have to buy 20 of each in which I'll never use!

So I think I'll spend about $75-$100 by the time I'm finished. I guess that's not break-the-bank horrible. I'm watching the back-to-school sales and I did get a couple great deals at Staples. Can't beat 1 cent copy machine reams (after rebate) and 12 pk pencils! WM had Crayola crayons for 20 cents per box as well as Crayola markers for $1 and 2 pks of glue stick for 25 cents! The girl at the check out asked if I was a teacher. I bet she's sorry she asked now. I went off on the "supply list" and I even showed it to her! Hee hee!
Thank goodness I have boys and don't have to worry about buying new "school clothes" too. They both picked out a new pair of tennis shoes a couple weeks ago and they can pick out a new back pack and we'll be set. They don't need clothes and thankfully don't care about them....yet! I know my time will come!
But really, besides a teacher, what does the school supply? Don't they know we're in a recession and these lists are a little on the rediculous side? How about cutting back on a few glue sticks! Just sayin'....

2 comments:

donatelli98 said...

Don't buy the manila folders - I have a big box - you can pick up some when you come over for our swim party!

donatelli98 said...

I probably have some hanging file folders too I can scrounge at work - let me know!