Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A New Invention: Go Away Monster Spray!

The other night, The Brewer and DJB were having a head butting contest. If you know The Brewer you know he doesn't get too worked up about anything. But 2 nights ago after trying to make the Ethiopian DJB eat some real food and not being the least bit successful as usual, The Brewer was on a mission to show DJB who's boss! Since he wouldn't eat his dinner he needed to go to bed. I'm thinking, Oh ya, this is going to go over well too!

So kicking and screaming, The Brewer hauls DJB up to his room. The baby monitor that's in DVB's bedroom is relaying the whole contest to us in the living room. Neither is going to give in. Finally the very tired DJB admits he's afraid of monsters and ghosts. The Brewer, who doesn't have a mushy heart for stuff like that says, "There's no such thing as monsters or ghosts and I'm here anyway to keep you safe."

It didn't work and now DJB is really mad. My mushy mommy heart couldn't take it anymore. I was going to intervene. But The Brewer said HE was going to handle this! After I begged and pleaded (sort of kind of) he let me take a turn.

I remember reading somewhere about a "magic" spray using a simple squirt bottle that was a great fear deterrent. So knowing DJB was going to ask about the ingredients, (aspiring chef among other things) and knowing simple water wasn't going to cut it, I mixed some water and Spray and Wash (I thought about food coloring, soap, air freshener, vanilla but didn't want to make a sticky stainy mess but I wanted it to smell good) in a squirt bottle and wrote on the bottle, "GO AWAY MONSTER SPRAY." I shook it up and Voila! I knew he was going to buy it! After I calmed him down I told him I Googled Go Away Monster Spray and I got the recipe to get rid of those scary guys!

It worked! He intently listened to my directions on how to use it and he nestled comfortably in his bed.

A few minutes later, LOB is now ready for bed. He crawls in with DJB and quickly jumps out coming to tell us, "Um, Mom, DJB's bed is all wet and the door and the walls and the carpet and DVB's crib."

I just smile at The Brewer, not saying what I really wanted to say, and tell LOB to just roll with it! And he giggles.

The next morning DJB woke up so proud that he fought off a ton of monsters and only used half his bottle of magic spray! I told him I could whip up another batch of that magical stuff and he'd be safe again tonight!

So last night, no problems were had at the dinner table. No problems were had with the bedtime routine. I did recommend using a leeetle less Go Away Spray. You know, it doesn't take much to get rid of those pesky critters.

And this morning DJB asks, "Mom, does that spray kill the monsters or does it just make them go away?" I answered, "It just makes them go away and pretty soon they won't come back any more."

Our neighbor thought it was such a great idea, that she too whipped up a batch for that really scary window in her daughter's bedroom. The first thing the little neighbor girl says to me when she walked in the door this morning: "I have some of that spray and it really works!"

So I guess I can't take credit for the invention but I bet mine is a very unique recipe like no one else has ever had! And the bonus? The boy's rooms smell all Spray and Washy fresh!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beth,

Your boys are adorable. It looks like you had a great holiday.

Vanesa

donatelli98 said...

You are too funny ... is DJB eating better now?

Robin said...

Oh my gosh. I'll have to remember that! (I had lots of nightmares and Trent still does so not looking forward to the days when the girls might start). You are too funny. I can't believe it worked!