Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Squirrel Anyone?

There was a little excitement up at the cabin this past weekend. GOB took all the boys up to go turkey hunting while I stayed home because I had to work. There's lots of stories to tell from the adventurous weekend but I'll have to tell one story at a time. You know, I have to stretch out the blogging material!

Here's what Grandpa emailed me shortly after they gave up turkey hunting and switched to squirrel:


So this was a banner day for LOB and me. We decided to take the boys out after some tree rats . We packed a lunch and hit the woods. Didn't see any squirrels while we ate but we decided to road hunt. In short order we spied the first of 4. GOB chased it into the perfect tree, a dead pine with no needles. It went up about 15 feet and sat broadside. LOB sat in my lap and held the rifle himself and popped it. His practice this summer with the BB gun gave him skill to iron site this rat and knocked him out of the tree with one shot. His next one was a much bigger challenge. It went to the top of a 60 footer. He had to lean against a tree and took several shoots to hit it. He wanted to quit but his Dad was patient and they worked together and he got him. He wanted three so DJB and DVB could have a tail and so it was. The only help he got was finding the critter in the tree and loading the gun, He has a cricket single shot hand cock rifle just his size. No scope iron sites !!!!!






So I'm not sure who is more excited, Grandpa, Papa, or LOB!?!
Normally, they skin the squirrels and Grammy eats the poor little scampers! *GASP* I know, totally gross! But she said they were too scrawny to bother but they did keep the tails! LOB wanted to hang them in his room but I shot down that idea in a nanosecond! I told him to go staple them to the tree in the backyard!
Story #2 is on deck for tomorrow. I already thought of a title: Daredevil DVB!

1 comment:

Robin said...

I'm sure it has something to do with having boys and both a husband and father that hunt, but I have to say you are MUCH nicer than me allowing your boys to hunt (with guns) at such a young age. I sure hope my girls don't ever want to! :-)