Thursday, December 18, 2008

I Thought It Wouldn't Happen Until at Least Next Year!

So we have a Doubting Thomas on our hands...

It all started last Saturday when we had plans to see Santa.

But let me back up...


We started a new tradition in our house this year. It's called Elf on the Shelf and I heard about it from here. It's a little vintage looking elf who comes in a very cool package from the North Pole and with a cute little book about how to use him. The idea is that the Elf, ours is named Nissy, comes to your home the day after Thanksgiving and finds a place to rest in your home. Every night when the kids go to bed, Nissy flies back to the North Pole to report to Santa whether the kid's day was good or bad. The next morning, the kids BOLT out of bed to see where Nissy has landed which is supposed to be in a different location in your home. Ahem! You see, the other night when The Brewer was gone hunting, Nissy forgot to move! GASP! And guess who noticed? Yep, LOB! Somehow my brain recovered abnormally quickly from the stun! And I replied, "Oh, Nissy must not have moved because he knew we were going to visit Santa today." Whew! The lie worked. He bought it!

And so back to my story about visiting Santa...

On our way to the hospital to see Santa (where The Brewer works), LOB saw Santa in a horse drawn carriage driving down a road. He asked, "Um Mom, I thought Santa was going to be at the Hospital. Why is he driving horses?"

I sold the story about that the Real Santa sometimes needs some extra helpers and they dress up like him and report back to the Real Santa later in the day. Whew! Once again, he's sold!


So we see Santa and Mrs. Claus---I'd never met her before so that was exciting!

And now, here's where DJB comes into play in the experience...He was DEATHLY afraid of getting his picture taken with Santa even before we got in the car! He repeatedly told me he DIDN'T want a picture with Santa and that he just wanted to tell him what he wanted for Christmas. Well, recalling the stubborn little turkey DJB can be, I tried to bribe him! Yeah, didn't work! (let's see if the new blogger can insert a pic)

Do you see DJB's face? Um, no! It's funny, our last 3 years of Santa pictures have looked very similar!

So after I totally traumatize DJB we leave and then he has a major breakdown! He forgot to tell Santa what he wanted! Situation once again diverted! We'll email him when we get home! Story sold and bought once again! Whew!

So later in the day LOB says, "Mom, there is something peculiar about Santa this year."

Me: "Oh, Oh really?" cringing......

LOB: "Yes, every Santa has a different voice. When we get home I'm going to compare this year's picture to 2007's picture."

Oh great! I'm thinking, how am I going to sell this one?! So once again I told the story about Santa's many helpers...sold kinda sorta again....

LOB: "Well next year I'm going to bring a video camera and tape him."

So now fast forward to today.

As we're driving down the road he says. "My friend, Joshua, says that the parents wake up during the night on Christmas Eve and go to Toys R Us and buy presents and then say they are from Santa. And that Santa isn't really real."

Oh great! Now I'm thinking OH NO! I thought that I'd be able to fudge things enough to get through this year but maybe not next! Boo hoo!

So I say: "Oh, sometimes Santa needs the parent's help to shop. But I really believe in Santa and if Joshua doesn't, it's his own choice. Do you believe in Santa, LOB?"

LOB: "Yep, I do."

Whewwwwwwww!

So what's next? Is he going to stay awake all night to witness Santa's abundant dumping of goods? What's my story going to be next? I have a feeling we'll be having a little private chat and swear the kid to keep the Santa magic alive for DJB and DVB! And I think he'll play along. He's one who does not want to disappoint me or The Brewer with serious issues.

Oh, and DVB? He could have cared less about the whole Santa experience and just enjoyed himself a yummy cookie from Santa!

Uff Da! So how was that for post #2? Maybe tomorrow I'll get adventurous and try to post a video from DJB's little Preschool Program today. Maybe, just maybe!










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a great writer, just like your grandmother! Enjoyed your story!
Love, Aunt Wendy