Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sick Little Boy...

Poor DVB is a sick little boy. It started with a fever on Saturday followed by yucky vomiting Sunday. Tuesday afternoon after his nap I decided to take him in to Urgent Care because he still had a fever and I thought he was breathing kind of fast. So the doctor there diagnosed him with pneumonia in the left lower lobe and sent us home with a prescription for antibiotics. Finding the rx was a whole 'nother fiasco but I did eventually get it filled. GOB and I tried 3 times last night to give him the antibiotics but he wanted nothing to do with it-it smelled like bubble gum but must have tasted tasty. Every time we got it in him, he puked it up a couple minutes later. This morning I took him into his Pediatrician and she was so disgusted with the Urgent Care's care and treatment. She did agree with the pneumonia diagnoses but was surprised they didn't do a breathing treatment and the choice of antibiotics prescribed. She also recommended never going back there. I then had to tell the doctor that I work for that organization and that I was so embarrassed to admit that. *gasp*

Anyway, she did a breathing treatment in the office because his pulse ox was 89. Fortunetly after the treatment, it went up to 93 so she sent us home with a rx for albuterol breathing treatments. Here I had just come across that darn machine a week ago (it got a lot of use when LOB was a baby and once or twice with DJB) and thought to myself that we hadn't had to use it for a few years! She warned me that he was on the edge of needing oxygen so to watch him very closely. Also, they tested him for RSV in which he did test positive for. And after a couple injections of antibiotic, we were finally sent on our way. He does have a new prescription for oral antibiotics but she assured me that he'll take it a lot easier than the other junk that he got yesterday because it tastes better.

So that's been our week so far. The poor boy even looks horrible. But hopefully in a day or two all the meds will kick in and he'll be on the mend! Meanwhile, the rest of us will be taking bathes in hand sanitizer so we don't get this junk-cause it's nasty!

1 comment:

donatelli98 said...

Hope DVB is feeling better ... we know what you are going through ... can't wait to see you - if DVB is on the mend by then!